Reflection


Upon completing this project I have learnt how to maintain and organise a blog and to keep on top of something that needs to be completed periodically, I have learnt a lot about sensory modulation and ways that this can be carried out with children, their caregivers and the people in their lives such as teachers and teacher aides.

I feel like sensory integration (modulation) is an area that is up and coming in the profession, students studying occupational therapy are now learning more about sensory integration and how it is used in particular settings. I feel that when using sensory modulation it is important for the occupational therapist to engage with the school environment so that the children have understanding of some of the behaviours and assist their classmates in receiving the right stimulation. The more people that know about sensory modulation in a child’s life I think is the better, as the child can get frustrated with their sensory needs and this may then affect the parents, teachers and learning of their peers.

Sensory modulation is not only used in children that have sensory modulation disorders but can be used in several differing settings or occupational therapy including mental health settings. It is becoming more frequent that sensory modulation rooms are being supported in mental health units and this is beneficial to those suffering from mental illness.

Through my blog I have given insight into what sensory modulation is and the differing aspects of sensory modulation disorders, I have tried to keep this brief and added links to other resources. There is also information on some of the assessments that can be done for sensory modulation and a link to a checklist that is similar to the sensory profiling assessment. I have only given an overview of sensory interventions and made links to resources available for occupational therapist to either source or recommend for clients.  I have thoroughly enjoyed making this blog and have felt my knowledge of sensory modulation has increased greatly.

I would like to thank the people that have taken the time to read my blog and I hope that it was very informative. I have been very blessed to have this topic as it is something that I feel is important for occupational therapy practice. Please feel free to leave comments.

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment